FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The QR STPC (stopover) policy?
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:09 am
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Agent69
I am looking at a flight in J from OSL - CPT early next year, and need some assistance with STPC entitlement (or lack there of). The options are:
  • QR 176 / 1371 outbound has a 7hr stopover
  • QR 180 / 1369 outbound has a 9hr stopover
  • QR 1370 / 175 return has a 9hr stopover
Both the 9hr stopover flights have earlier connecting flights available, but at significantly higher prices.

So the question is: what are the options for a OWE passenger travelling in J? If I don't qualify for STPC what other options are there for finding somewhere to rest / sleep?
It doesn't seem that you will qualify for STPC. There is a different offer, the +Qatar program, that provides hotels for $23-28 per night for one to four nights, no food voucher or transit. However, it may require a 12-hour minimum, but if so this is not always enforced so may be worth a try. It also has not yet been extended into next year, but there's a good chance it will be. See the FT thread +Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free, and the official page: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offe...-stopover.html.

If I were you, I'd try to book a longer connection so as to have adequate time to exit the airport, travel to a hotel, check-in, get good sleep, have breakfast, get cleaned up, and get back to the airport and through security and formalities. There are many hotels in Doha, and usually rates are not bad. I would book a refundable/cancelable rate now, and if/when +Qatar is extended, switch to it. If you want to stay with a short connection, there is an airside transit hotel (Oryx) that is pricey but super convenient. They also have a 25-meter lap pool and gym.