FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:50 pm
danthflyer

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I just tested booking this trip without setting the parameter that I want to upgrade and the "Available fare classes" appeared when I expanded the "Details". It always works if you have set your account to "Expert Mode".

Yes, for a GPU from a Global Services friend you are looking for PN>0. For a GPU from a 1K friend you would have to look for PZ>0.

At this point, three weeks out, United only sells high fares: J9 C9 D3. The future flight status site indicates that it's sold 28/48. Most business travelers book their tickets in the last two weeks. And the problem at this time is that you don't know if there are passengers already waitlisted for the PN (and the PZ if your friend is only 1K). What fare did you purchase?
I definitely have "Enable expert mode" turned on in Preferences & settings > Special preferences & accommodations, so I'm not sure why I don't see available fare classes under details w/ "no upgrade", but I tried several times, and that's what I observed.

My friend is GS not 1K. The GPU was applied to my tickets on June 4 (only ~8.5 weeks out), so yeah, I may not be the first GS GPU passenger to book.

I started out purchasing a W fare, then I later paid an extra $400 to get Economy Plus seats (I assume this wouldn't have changed my fare class).