FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Longest Embraer 175 routes?
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:17 pm
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by schley
Team,

It isn't difficult to understand. I'm not a kettle, I'm a 1k and on routes over 3 hours I use RPU's either my own or CC trades. the most important factor for me isn't how many people are sitting in coach, it is the amount of F seats to upgrade into period.

I don't think anyone outside of UA has data on how many seats are booked on 175's vs A320 etc. However, I don't think the loads of purchased F would vary a great deal. Thus how many seats in the front are open after the purchased F. Boom Bob's your uncle to all you Canadians.

Again total F vs. Y isn't the formula. It is available seats for upgraders after purchased F. The numbers aren't commensurate to upgrade chances because you have less Y passengers.

I don't have to convince anyone, it works good for me. If you have a different take, I guess it would further help my chances so by all means keep it up.
The number of people sitting in coach directly affects how many people you are in competition with for an upgrade. While a 737 may have more F seats available on the aircraft, they could have dozens more passengers looking to upgrade into them.

The number of people purchasing F is going to vary greatly from flight to flight. For example, I will purchase F if it's reasonable on a flight of 2+ hours, I'm absolutely not going to do so on something that's 45 minutes long. The available seats for upgrades after F seats have been sold is not going to take some sort of linear formula strictly based on the number of F seats an aircraft has.