FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help my mother pick an airline to be loyal to -- AA or UA?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:39 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by giblet
My parents are in their 70s and fly very often between SFO-NYC-MXP or combinations therein. They are constantly flying Norwegian or Air Italy and then complaining about how horrible it is. Because they do 2 round trips to Italy each year, and between 2-6 SFO-NYC flights, I think they should pick an airline or alliance and try and stick to it and get status. They usually fly economy but after their last flight are now thinking of starting to fly Premium Economy or Business, and they are also willing to use LHR as a hub and take cheapie flight to Milan.

Based on the above, is there any benefit to choosing UA over AA?

The only one I can think is that UA waives the spend requirement for those with an overseas address (they have both). Any other differences we should factor in? I know questions like this are boring, but your expertise would be appreciated.
What benefits are they looking for from attaining status? If they fly AA in Business, they might have an easier time attaining oneworld status by crediting their AA flights to an FFP in a different oneworld carrier.