FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Longest Embraer 175 routes?
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:22 pm
markedcw

I’ve been doing SFO-SAT several times a year since the mid 90s. While it doesn’t make the wiki’s top 5 above, its 1482 miles puts it right up there. The route gets UX service (SkyWest) most of the time with mainline showing up around holidays. I prefer today’s E175 over any of the previous equipment, particularly if I can claim 1A as I’ve managed on 90% of my trips. Solo window/aisle seat, AC power, streaming entertainment, and a dedicated F lav—what’s not to like?

Okay no ovens in the galley. But I’ve come to see that as an advantage (unlike the early 2000s when the ex-shuttle 735 flew without ovens and offered some truly awful meals). In contrast to previous opinions, I prefer the current UX entree salads over any hot domestic entree, including those on the premium transcons. The kale soba noodle with chicken on the side (I tend to avoid meat) came to be a favorite even though I got it on every single flight for a good three years running. In keeping with my contrarian view, I actually dislike the cookie because it’s overly sweet and processed for my tastes.

I know it’s almost anathema to say here but I find today’s E175 service a significant improvement over the pmUA offerings on this route, even mainline. And the fact that I can skip the upgrade game by buying paid F for just a couple of hundred over Y at my typical two to three week booking window seals the deal.