FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B737 fleet to be based in OSL [split off from A350 thread]
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:40 am
ImportViking

Programs: SK, KL, FI
Originally Posted by RedChili
Question about clarification: A 73G is a 737-700 without winglets. The same type with blended winglets is called 73W. A 73H is a 737-800 with winglets. Without winglets it's called a 738.

So, did you intend to say that the 737-700 without winglets, and the 737-800 with blended winglets, will remain based in OSL?
Finally able to reply again (really this 5 post per week quota is quite silly).

I learned something new, thank you. I have been told that the only reason why the Boeing 737 NG uses G and H is to avoid confusion when using B737 as type, as that's already a 'generic' Boeing 737. Or so I have been told. No one told me that winglets make the difference here.

To reply to the rest of the posts: I'm not an insider myself, but I know people on 'the inside' at OSL. As such, I can confirm that the rest of the short/medium haul Boeing fleet remains at OSL, and for what I understood, it may take quite some time and effort for SK to get rid of it. According to what I understood, this is apparently preferred by a good part of staff there, as apparently Boeing is highly preferred over Airbus. I never mentioned onions or their influence, as I don't know how big their impact was here. But it sounded to me that staff in OSL got it the way they wanted.
I got the impression that it's more dissatisfaction with change in general and 'scared' with stepping into the unknown, as Norwegians tend to have quite a bit, than that it runs-down-their-pants kind of scared for having an Airbus to fly instead of a Boeing. My usage of the word "scary" was of course a bit theatrical, as I'm still not used to Scandinavian/Norwegian oversensitivity to basic issues like a change in type rating, even after all these years of living there.

Just a question from my side: if one was to renew a whole short/medium haul fleet, wouldn't it make sense then to order just enough aircraft to actually phase out the whole short/medium haul fleet that should be phased out instead of keeping a bit of the old fleet in a specific hub for whatever reason?