FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best day of the week to score business upgrade
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:16 pm
nomad420

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To go back to the OPs question, Saturday is probably the worst day for SFO-FRA, as if you want to be in the office on Monday in Europe, whether going there or returning there, you need to leave Saturday or earlier. the value of lie-flat seat is to address the time zone shift issue and allow people to leave SFO on Saturday, arrive mid-day Sunday and go to work on Monday.

Those going Sunday will, at a minimum, miss part of the Monday workday and have an even more challenging time-zone shift, so do that but many people the local nights sleep that Saturday departure allows in SFO-FRA. Saturday departure for SFO-FRA/MUC was always my choice with driven by work requirements.
Flying these routes regularly I totally agree. SFO-FRA/MUC on a Saturday or even Sunday my clearance of instruments is dismal at best. I was often having to work and didn't have the ability to fly mid week but as others have stated above it seem like Wed is probably best. I suspect UA may even have published stats on this but I have not looked them up.