FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Use for 52k alaskamiles
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:21 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The differential for AS and AA prices for J/F isn't TOO big out of Japan/Asia 1 (like 10k miles or thereabouts), but SE Asia/Asia 2 is pretty brutal for F redemptions (110k on AA vs. 70/75k on AS), though J is only 5-20k miles or so. If OP is getting all their miles with credit card apps, may take a bit longer if they want to live it up with Dom or Krug in a fancy F seat.

The other advantage of AA miles over AS miles is being able to mix partners, like, say, JL on SIN-NRT-ORD and AA ORD-YYZ (which would be two awards on AS- you can only mix AS + one partner on a one way itinerary, and AS doesn't fly to YYZ, so you're stuck with CX or a positioning flight).
In your example, you are using AA + one partner to Canada. I do agree that there is the multi-airline benefit for AA awards (I would take the AS stopover benefit first) but they are pretty restrictive if flying international to international via the USA.

I wasn't able to do YLW-SEA-BOS(AS)-DOH-EBB-KGL(QR) on one AA award, nor was I able to do KGL-DOH-ATL(QR)-SEA-YLW(AS) on one AA award. Both required a US origin or stop. Beyond that required a second award. In both circumstances, I had to reposition.

It appears that AA is certainly more restrictive with routing and won't fly you internationally to/from an international starting/ending point to the US on a Partner Airline. If you look at SIN-EAT you can book JL to the West coast and then AS West Coast-SEA-EAT but you can't book JL to ORD and then AS ORD-SEA-EAT. (backtracking) AA will quote an award KGL-HNL but KGL-YVR isn't permissible. ???? AA will price a revenue YLW-SEA-PHX-GDL itinerary but it is not available as an award, on AS, it is available as an award and a stopover is permitted in SEA or PHX. AA also charges more miles for awards to/from Canada.

Definitely a nice benefit for AA awards but restrictive from a Canadian Perspective.

James