FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:56 am
BWISkyGuy

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by CLT
I don't have a problem with any of the ingredients, per say.

My problem is that AA is trying very hard to be "trendy" when it comes to their catering while sticking to a barebones catering budget. They could likely serve up simpler, more traditional dishes at a greater quality and quantity for the same price they are spending now. A simple fresh green salad with a lettuce mix, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber probably costs the same or less as the "trendy" salad with grapes, and could probably be delivered in a greater quantity at the same price.

I have a similar gripe with AA's international catering. The idea of eating bulgogi-style beef on a LHR-USA flight is bizarre to me. It reminds me of when my undergrad cafeteria used to try really hard to cook up trendy dishes that overall tasted and looked disgusting. Moral of the story is that AA should just stick to the basics. I had no problem with the cuisine of both L-US and L-AA. It was generally simple, traditional, familiar foods.
I have mixed feelings here. I'd get that if they were making crazy things, and granted I have some training in food and it's a passion of mine so I may be more exposed to it than others, but I don't find anything on the current AA menu rotation to be wildly trendy. I think the trend the past couple of years shows them picking entrees that are more familiar and accessible (the cheeseburger, seasoned chicken breasts, short rib, etc.), and based on some coverage of planned entrée rotations this fall it looks like that trend will continue.

I disagree about the salads though... If I only had to eat the salad once a year, then the same lettuce with a mealy tomato and cucumber would be fine. But to have that on every flight, every meal, everywhere, every week like LAA (and for a while United) did is just exhausting. If it's really too much for someone to try something bold and crazy and eat something sweet or crunchy in their salad, they can pick it off, but the fact that AA offers a wide variety of salads with different ingredients is one of the things I LOVE about their catering program... And I take those few wins where I can get them lately, because there are plenty of things I don't love.