FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cambodia
Thread: Cambodia
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:44 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
Thanks Rich! This information is exactly what I was looking for. I don't want to spend alot of time going from place to place so this itinerary makes good sense. I really like the idea of the bus between PP and SR. Is flying recommended by others just to save time? We are flying from LAX through Seoul to PP and arrive late on Friday the 22nd. Should we just grab an airport hotel when we arrive or should we make our way to PP? I'll look into the Penh House hotel, is it a good location for getting around PP? We depart at night on Dec 1 so we will also have a full day in PP before our return flight.
Bus vs fly vs private car from SR to PP: IMO you don't save a lot of time flying once you factor in waiting around the airport, check in, security, and the 45-60 min ride from PP airport into town. Basing this on making the same decision in June with cost not being a factor. Others clearly have differing opinions.

Arriving in PP: take Grab or, barf, tuktuk/taxi into town. Tuktuk is ok unless it's raining with essentially the same speed. Traffic will be less for you since it will be late, which is a big factor. Cambodia really doesn't do airport hotels, though there are hotels near the airport. The country isn't really developed in a way you might recognize for things like airport hotels, not even like HCMC.

Penh House location: yeah, street 240 is good. Walking distance to several major sights, but you can also easily use Grab. I go out the back door and ask for Grab to meet me at the Box Office pub on Street 244 to avoid hassle with the tuk tuk guys waiting/preying on hotel guests out front. I used to stay in BKK1, south of Victory monument, but moved to Penh House. Don't get the "Jungle" rooms listed in Agoda, which are actually on 244. Roof bar is decent, but a little pricey. Local and above average restaurants next door/close by. Cash laundry up the street. Walk east on 240 and north on 3 to get to major sights or FCC. You may spend a fair amount of time at FCC. Very atmospheric, though I wouldn't stay there.

Google Maps is good for directions and even traffic conditions. Several approachable, non foreigner restaurants very close to Penh House or $1 Grab away in BKK1. Sovanna I & II. Khmer Women Food. Even Malis, though I wouldn't go there again. Hoang Yen is good for Vietnamese. Friends and Bright Lotus Guesthouse restaurants are better food deals than FCC and nearby FCC.

Usually better for a foreigner to take Grab than crossing a lot of streets, but check out Travelfish's walking tour.
--
Rich

Last edited by rjh; Nov 27, 2019 at 6:31 pm