FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Frequent Flyer programs end?
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:04 am
Clincher

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by CPRich
No.

The supporting "article" (if you can call it that), actually says

and is focused on improving rewards programs. I don't see how it's indicative of the end of rewards programs.
I agree and I don't think anyone should or would use just one articles opinion to establish whether the airline FF programs will end.

The truth is, in just a short time the programs have changed dramatically. Does anyone think they have changed in the flyers favor? I don't. I have a friend that has collected over 1 million FF miles with UA. He is foolish to not use them up. They are worth far less today than a few years ago, so he has already lost. Unfortunately, the way airlines are think tanking these programs I bet my bottom dollar they will continue to lose value.

I also agree with those of you who say the programs may never end. However, the gradual change will spiral downward and continue out of the customers favor. I love the green stamps example. My mom and grandmother collected green stamps and it was a big deal to them. The internet killed greenstamps but they've tried to stay above water with on-line greenpoints. Okay, the analogy may not be perfect but when you include the human emotion/loyalty it is very similar. My mom collected GS because they had value and she felt she was getting something for her effort. It made her feel good that she was helping her family. Because of what I do for work I constantly see travelers choosing a higher priced ticket for a perk or two. It makes them feel good. However, the feel good feeling is walking a tight rope. Even among those loyalist there is some complaint.

Airlines have created their own currency and can value it anyway they want. Time will tell.