FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B737 fleet to be based in OSL [split off from A350 thread]
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:00 am
ImportViking

Programs: SK, KL, FI
Originally Posted by fassy

What is scary about flying an airbus vs flying a Boeing? Not having the stick between the legs? To be honest, at the moment all the Airbus automation seems to play out rather well compared to the latest Boeing software disasters. I have some friends who operated on MD-11, A319/320/321, 737 and 777 and of course it is a difference, all with their special quirks to know about, but I have not yet heard any pilot telling me "Airbus" is scary. Quite on the contrary.
Not scary as in it will run down their pants, but more scary as it means a need to change, I guess. And change, I've noticed, is not something Norwegians are very fond of. On the contrary, in fact...

I think you are right about safety issues. It seems that Airbus currently is a tad more reliable than Boeing with first their Dreamliner issues and now their bunch of MAX issues. Fortunately, SAS is so little progressive that I won't see any MAX there before the successor already is announced.

I'm not sure if it's software issues or just appalling design at Boeing. As usual, software gets the blame, even if it's being used as the digital equivalent of duct tape to hold some of the weirdest stuff together. New software doesn't mean that those MCAS sensors will suddenly not give any faulty indications or that they can't break down. It doesn't mean that suddenly all pilots got mandatory proper training on those new systems either. It just means that new software is abused to patch up previous stupidity. As usual.