FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B737 fleet to be based in OSL [split off from A350 thread]
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:47 am
ImportViking

Programs: SK, KL, FI
B737 fleet to be based in OSL [split off from A350 thread]

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

For the relatively short flights that some of the 737-800 perform it is doubtful if there is any benefit from adding the winglets. For the domestic 747-400 the winglets were removed due to the short flights. I know that is a different plane, but still quite interesting.
For the bit of inside information I got, the B73G and 73H will remain based in OSL due to staff apparently being unwilling to get a new type rating, Airbus being scary and if it's not Boeing then they're going, things like that (which might also be a good thing, given the low quality of SAS staff in OSL). Which means that they will also use the non-wingletted 738 on longer routes from OSL. In fact, I've been on quite a few trips over 2 hours where this aircraft has been used. I understand that OSL-TRD/BGO/SVG is highly doubtful, as regular cruising altitude will never be reached, but LHR, CDG, KKN or even further away is different, imho...

Agreeing that they used quite a bit of marketing lingo on insideflyer. Perhaps as a response to this typical Swedish flygskam movement? I hope Swedes do understand that their precious trees remain intact as aircraft fly above them while they have to be cut down to make room for railways?

And for the SAS B747, I believe they never had a B744, only 3 B742 which they phased out in 1987. And which they mainly used on intercontinental routes (between Copenhagen and New York). Not sure if Visby even can handle a 747, actually.

I expect BMA to remain open as long as airlines and passengers use it and it remains viable, and as of today, there are more than enough that do so. It would be crazy if an airline that doesn't even fly there suddenly can decide the faith of an airport. On the other hand, it's Sweden we talk about, and there's already strong enough sentiments against flying there...