FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEED ADVICE: Cancelled flight and additional expenses
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:39 pm
svasandani

NEED ADVICE: Cancelled flight and additional expenses

I had booked a one-way award ticket on AA for 4 pax from DFW-IAD using BA Avios points. I subsequently had a Star Alliance Intl Business class ticket booked out of IAD to South Africa and back to DFW.

The AA flight was at 8PM on Jun 23 and the Intl departure out of IAD was on Jun 24 at 5PM which appeared to be sufficient buffer time given that there was an overnight stay involved.

On the day of departure I got a text notification at 1:30PM from AA that my flight to IAD was cancelled and that i should call to get myself rebooked. I called AA Plat desk and after spending 45 mins with them on the phone the best option they could find for me was a flight to PIT on Jun 23 at 6:30PM and a connecting flight from PIT to DCA at 6AM on Jun 24.(None of the non-stop flights to DCA, IAD, BWI on June 23 or Jun 24 before 5PM had available seats).

We proceeded to the airport to catch the 6:30PM flight to PIT. We boraded the flight on time and the plane pushed back but while on the taxi way the DFW ATC lost all communications with the aircraft and we sat on the tarmac inside the plane for 90 mins. Once the communication was restored the pilot announced that he does not have enough fuel to fly the route given to him because he was running low. Hence we had to return to the gate to get refueled. Once we arrived back at the gate the crew timed out and we had to wait for a replacement crew. They kept pushing the flight back 15 mins at a time and at 1AM (7 hours after scheduled departure) canceled the flight due to lack of alternate crew. Obviously I was desperate to get to IAD because we had a separate intl business class ticket and I knew the other airline would have no sympathy for my situation since they were not at fault.

Fortunately, I was able to find 4 award tickets on a 7:30AM departure out of OKC to IAD on United but because of it being last minute booking I had to pay a $50 close in booking fee per passenger on top of miles and taxes/fees. (total $200).

Also, the car rental companies were mostly sold out at DFW airport and the best I could find was a $171 rental from DFW-OKC on Hertz.

I had also checked in a bag and even though i was told at the gate that I could pick up my checked bag at baggage claim since the flight was cancelled, when I actually reached baggage claim they informed me that the bag room was closed and they could deliver the bags. I then requested the baggage service clerk to enter instructions to reroute my bag to IAD the following day so I could pick it up in IAD and recheck them when I reach there.

Then without the bags in our possession, we proceeded to drive to OKC and reached there at 5:30AM after a 3 hour drive. The United flight then got delayed to 10:30AM but fortunately landed in IAD with just enough room to spare so we could make our intl flight.

In the end we did complete our trip as planned but the bags never got delivered to us in South Afrrica and we managed out of the stuff in our carry-on luggage and making some essential purchases to compensate for the rest.

We arrived back home on Sunday and the bag was promptly delivered back home the same day. It was being held at DFW airport even though i gave them my Cape Town hotel address.

I have already submitted the receipts in lieu of the misplaced bag but have yet to contact customer relations regarding all the other expenses and the pain and trauma caused on the initial date of departure.

Looking for ideas on what I should ask for in terms of actual costs and other compensations.

Is it still possible to get the BA Avios points reimbursed?
Can I ask for One way car rental reimbursement?
What should I say about the one way award ticket on United from OKC-IAD. (not sure if i should disclose that I bought an award ticket)?

Any tips / suggestions on how to claim compensation / reimbursement from AA would be greatly appreciated.