FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:26 pm
RobertHanson

Originally Posted by atomicfront
If they don't send out mailers or e-mails how are they going generate new customers? They can't advertise on the airplane or at the airport as only Barclay is going to do that. If they stopped sending out mailers I am sure American Airlines profits will fall dramatically. More likely the mailers will include the 24 or 48 month language when they come back. Or maybe tied to a name.
If the new "mailers include the 24 or 48 month language when they come back...I am sure American Airlines profits will fall dramatically"

Because AA has stated in their quarterly conference call that they lose money on tickets, and lose money on cargo, and only make a profit on sales of miles. And I can't imagine that many people actually buy miles when AA puts them on "sale". Most of the miles have to be sold to the banks, somewhat to cover miles from spend, but especially from sign up bonuses. So it may be that the reason we have been getting mailers is pressure from AA on the banks to buy more miles, and mailers that don't fit the official T/Cs of Citi bonuses would be the only way to take care of that. Still, following the reasoning of my previous post, I think Citi is at least intending to stop the mailers. What will happen when AA complains about their much lower purchase of miles is yet to be seen.