FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:17 am
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The outfit seems to be going right up to the line IMO, and I could see an FA asking her to cover her nipples-up area, especially if she tended to "fall out" when seated.

It's one of those one-off things where everyone could have done better - the FA could have handled the cover-up request better; the pax could have done a better job thinking about how the outfit would work on a plane flight. Looks like she got her travel refunded, so it's kind of a nothingburger at this point. <shrugs>

It does bring up a fun thought exercise: If a male arrived with a strapless tight "shirt" on, with 100% nakedness from the top of the head to the top of the nipples...would it make a difference to anyone here?
Do you think the FA would have reacted the same way if Ivanka Trump had been wearing that outfit? Because I don't.

I'd really like to have seen footage of the gate areas on the day she traveled. I'd like to see what other pax typically wear.

If this was a spandex body suit, neck to toe, wrist to ankles, I suspect some people would manage to find it offensive.

I think the FA had a chip on her shoulder for some reason, and I think she tried to provoke a reaction. This was one woman boarding a plane. Many of the pax will be busy stowing bags and situating themselves and will never notice her when she walks by their seat. Most of the flight, she will be seated. There's limited visibility deplaning because you generally can't see more than three or four pax ahead. The FA's attitude and choosing to make a big deal of it probably resulted in twice as many people seeing the outfit and studying it and trying to understand what the FA's issue was. Her attitude probably caused more than one pax to furtively look down and check their own clothing.

I'd sit next to this doctor in her outfit any day of the week. I hope to heck I never have that FA on any flight. I'd much rather sit next to her than a businessperson twice her size in 'proper business attire'.