FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:58 am
JimInOhio

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jsloan

If they can’t charge a premium, then they necessarily have to have better load factors at the same fares if they’re going to benefit from this change. All carriers are at similar load factors well over 80%. There’s just not that much further to grow.

There are a lot of changes I’d like to see UA make before I’d worry about long-haul food quality in Economy.

ETA: Also, why is it that when the Polaris service was announced, it was mostly “let’s wait and see what they cut,” but DL gets credit for a program four months before it launches?
True though it's worth adding that passengers who have a good experience in TATL Y might be more inclined to book a DL flight from New York to Los Angeles (for example). So far, haven't DL resisted the 10 across 777 siren song, too?

I doubt DL will try to extract some real premium in their fares but, OTOH, people do pay more to get more. Not everyone, obviously. Maybe DL's strategy is to try to pigeonhole AA and UA as just bigger versions of Frontier and Spirit. Many people really do pay more to avoid those carriers.