FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card Recommendations - International Business Class (AA) - 200k spend per year
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:51 pm
waterskifly

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Pakse
Hi,

If there's a thread that addresses this - please do point me to it. I'm not much good with search as I thought this would be a common question/discussion and found nothing.

1. I see a value of around $0.01 per mile for US-Europe American Airlines business class tickets
2. My AA branded credit cards have a value of 1%
3. I've seen 1 cash back card with 1% on purchase and 1% on payment and another card which used to pay for airline tickets provides a direct value of 2% per dollar spent.
4. Therefore I am thinking of switching my primary card to one of the two cards mentioned in 3

Question: For business class airfare to Europe, with an annual spend of around 150k per year on credit cards and around 80k miles earned flying American Airlines which credit card would you recommend as a primary card?

Thanks,

Pakse
Im in the same boat.

Few things.

1. Aviator Silver card (have to apply for the aviator red, then get invited to join silver) gives you 3x points when purchasing AA flights. This is the most you will find for a pure AA card.
2. You can buy Admirals club access with 55K miles instead of $550 or the AA Citi card
3. If you use Amex or say Chase Saphire Reserve (i hear their current ultimate rewards program is a nightmare) you get "Points" that can be redeemed for purchase air travel. This means... Instead of using AA points, your using let's say Amex points or CSR points to buy a "rewards" ticket. You will still be buying an actual revenue ticket, meaning you will earn miles on these flights. This is the no brainer for me.
4. Primary Crash Damage Waiver seems hard to find on a good travel card. Citi is getting rid of it, Amex Plat requires you to purchase extra benefits. CSR has it but again... they switched over to expedia for ultimate rewards which is a non starter for me. I have been looking at the US Bank Visa Infinite for Primary CDW or just biting the bullet and going with Amex Plat.

One consideration you might have is getting to Exec Plat... you're gonna need to do it with segments or miles (in addition to dollars, which it sounds like you have). The Extra 10,000 EQM's that the AA card provides may be worth while for you to keep the card, at least until you hit those minumums. You could also get up to 20,000 EQMs by splitting your spend between the AA Citi Exec card and the Silver Aviator Card. Which would get you into Exec Plat range....

If you just want straight cash back on travel, you'll find that Costco offers 3% back on travel.

Cheers