FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:39 am
bobert24

Seems like there are lots of people who are convinced that Citi isn't sending any more mailers at all. As a reminder, it looks like absolutely no one (not just people who churn) has received a mailer since late April. Let me ask a question - which of the following is more likely:

1. Citi has made a major change to their customer acquisition model and completely abandoned a program (mailers) that has in the past proven to generate enough profit/ROI to be worth sending repeated offers to the same people over and over again, often multiple times per month. They've also cut off emailers, which cost them almost nothing to distribute.

2. Citi is following a pattern very similar to what they did last year, where they cut off mailers in late April, but will resume them later. I couldn't tell you why, but I bet there's a whole demand management department at Citi that could, and could provide all kinds of charts and metrics to show you why. Maybe they get fewer applications due to people being out of town, or they're reconfiguring their systems/offers for the coming year, or one of a hundred different reasons.

Citi didn't just randomly kill all mailers forever. That's a major part of their customer acquisition strategy. They will be back. Can we guarantee that when they do come back, they'll continue to bypass the 24-month restriction? Of course not. But based on past experience, that's what we should expect. But regardless, let's stop with the "Citi has abandoned mailers forever" talk. That really just makes no sense.