FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 Premier Kit discussion - contents, pictures, actual delivery, ....
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:50 pm
8MiHi

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by Kacee
Where do you see that? My 1K card definitely does not say that. The reason the card in the App has a barcode is so it can be scanned at lounges. Note also that if save your card in your wallet, it will display the *G logo.

I haven't seen a report of LH/LX requiring physical card for SEN lounge in some time, but it could still theoretically happen I suppose.

btw, UA is just following the broader trend here. Many loyalty programs no longer provide physical cards.
In the United app, if I call up my UC card I get the computer readable part of my card with the following statement underneath its graphical representation:
"Physical card needed to access Star Alliance and partner lounges"
Clearly this has to do only with UC membership and not *A Gold status, but it may answer the question why some foreign carrier lounges insist on a card: the Dragons may be confused about which entry program should be used.
I agree that card requirements are so last decade...
For now I believe all UA *A Gold members should get a physical card in their kit since physical cards seem to still matter in some places.