FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Frequent Flyer programs end?
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:16 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clincher
..Do you think airlines might actually consider ending the frequent flyer programs in the near future?
No

FFP's are a huge profit centre and make more money that selling tickets to people in a thin metal tube for a few hours. FFP's are a better business than an airline.

Warren Buffet on airlines http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/.../#1076bc607dc7
Nevertheless, over the past two decades Buffett has made a series of widely reported repudiations of airline investing, including this statement from a 2002 interview with the London newspaper The Telegraph: “If a capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk back in the early 1900s, he should have shot Orville Wright. He would have saved his progeny money. But seriously, the airline business has been extraordinary. It has eaten up capital over the past century like almost no other business because people seem to keep coming back to it and putting fresh money in. You’ve got huge fixed costs, you’ve got strong labor unions and you’ve got commodity pricing. That is not a great recipe for success. I have an 800 (free call) number now that I call if I get the urge to buy an airline stock. I call at two in the morning and I say: ‘My name is Warren and I’m an aeroholic.’ And then they talk me down.”