FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United pushes JPM on Sapphire Reserve
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:31 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The only way UA will get people to put more purchase on the MileagePlus card, when the CSR is available for a similar (net) annual fee and to a similar set of customers, is to raise the earning rate — a lot.
i actually really like the idea of the chase/UA travelbank card because you earn UA $’s that can be redeemed on UA and still earn PQM/PQS/PQD when redeeming those at any amount. The problem with that card, and main reason I still use the CSR to purchase tickets is purely for the superior IRROPS travel protection that the CSR offers.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Who disputes that a UR point is at least as valuable as a UA mile? Certainly not I. I’ve said consistently that UA has the UA card problem it deserves because UA decides to make their miles worth less for consumers than other rebate currencies available to consumers in the market.
Even if you are spending your UR points exclusively on UA, the flexibility of the CSR UR points alone is what makes it a valuable option.
People simply like the idea that they could convert their points to something else even if they still convert them back to UA miles.
It's like cash vs a gift card.

Of course, the UR points would lose their value were they to lose their ability to convert to UA miles or other parters.