FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lithium batteries and Delta's abandonment of common sense
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:43 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
I bought myself an AWAY Cary-On luggage, the brand being one of the first offering a battery in the luggage to charge your smart-whatever. After getting into problems with enclosing it in an inaccessible compartment, AWAY now locates their battery, which is no different than any other battery everybody carries with them, in an accessible compartment close to the handle,
Those stupid bags. I have inquired with Away about making a no-battery variant, but got no response. There's no way I would want to deal with luggage with an integrated lithium battery, especially not in a situation where the bag has to be checked, whether by my choice or in a bins-full situation.

Originally Posted by BenA
If the battery is docked in a suitcase, you're not going to be able to safely unlatch and remove it if it's on fire, and you're not going to be able to get it into the containment bag because the suitcase will be too big. It's not an unreasonable request - it's a legitimate safety concern.

I strongly recommend finding another brand of luggage - not just because of this hassle, but also because Away is overpriced for the quality you receive.
Absolutely right. The whole Away paradigm is a level of risk and complexity and dumb design I prefer to live without. I can carry charger packs a la carte. What does the Away bag do for you that they don't, besides hold up boarding?