FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA,s policy [flights cancelled when pax has expired ESTA]
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:29 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Acrymaster
I try to check in at cph but my esta have expired.So i created a mew esta at they airport but got approved to late so i missed my flight to Denver I said to BA staff that my esta would probably be approved when i arrive at LHR for a stop over.But they cancelled my flight cus my esta was expired.They even cancel my return flight!! I booked a new flight same day but not with BA(even if i’m a Silver member)
This means that BA sell same seat Twice!!! I could use my return ticket cus my esta was good then,i see this as a criminal act of BA.I have paid for my return ticket but BA cancelled it
I have a great measure of sympathy for you, as I wait for the day I do something silly like forget to renew a visa. I've already been through a "booked the wrong month" mess, and missed a flight because of a car accident blocking the M25. But both got sorted out thanks to an understanding agent and some flexibility in the system.

So, while BA acted within the terms of its contract with you, I'm uneasy with language like "BA did the right thing", "you could have pleaded".

For me the right thing would always be to try to help the passenger out of a difficult situation. This gets difficult in the age of automated responses, but I'd have hoped a customer service agent would not have stopped at "computer says no", and might have sought approval to kick your reservation forward, charging you for any fare difference.

The difference would probably have been significant, but less than the cost of new tickets. But acting in that way, BA would have received extra revenue and you'd have had a much warmer feeling about the airline: something of a win-win.