FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:18 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When you call to request the upgrades, make sure the agent sets it up as "separate is ok", meaning you are willing to split up, i.e. if one upgrade space opens up you get it rather than skipping over you.
I am not aware that this preference is honored if upgrade space becomes available for a waitlisted segment before the flight goes to airport control. E.g., to my knowledge, if there are two passengers in one record and a flight is waitlisted for C inventory, and the flight goes from C0 to C1 a few days before departure and the waitlist clearing process runs (which it may or may not do depending on what caused the flight to go from C0 to C1), the upgrade process will skip the record and go to the next waitlisted record, to find one that has only one passenger. At the gate, an agent should see the note and split the record to process the upgrade, but I am not aware that the automated upgrade clearing process will do so.

Originally Posted by Marcin Sciesinski
I've spent over 30 minutes on the AA's website trying to figure out, what was the date of my systemwide upgrade I have used. Does anyone know of any place where I can see on which flight (or date) I have used one?
AA does not provide this. You can contact AAdvantage Customer Service by phone or web contact and ask an agent to look it up. Personally, I keep a spreadsheet showing all SWUs earned and used.