FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Problems Accessing FlyerTalk When Using A VPN" thread
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:24 pm
IBJoel
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Which as mentioned before, is ridiculous for a travel forum to prevent access via a VPN when many of us use the site while at an airport and on a VPN.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
can you elaborate on the "security reasons" that exist for the website that causes this rule?
As others have said, it's kind of ironic that using a VPN is recommended by posters on this site for protecting the posters, but that the web site that specializes in helping travelers bans their use.
Really have no idea what kind of problems could be created for this site by someone posting a message, vs our own devices being compromised. I've experienced buggy behavior of infected pages on this site with sudden redirects to "you won an amazon gift card!", although not lately, but seems like the site's users face more risk than the site operators.
What am I missing? Can this be revisited?
So I've gotten some new information from tech (received when I asked about security for LovePrunes). WE are not actively blocking any VPNs, but some VPNs are blocked globally through our security system (Cloudflare, a third party). So the VPN has to take this up with Cloudflare. However, we may be able to provide assistance. If you're having trouble with a VPN, please PM me the IP that VPN is attempting to use. We may have blocked that IP range locally for spamming, and I may be able to grant you access.

Last edited by IBJoel; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:26 am