FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you go to Tbilisi, Georgia right now? (protests against Russia)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:34 am
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Which retaliations? Sure, the Russians are fooling around with Georgian wine imports and have stopped flights to Georgia from their country. But these measures should not affect you as a traveller unless you might be booked on an Aeroflot ticket to Tbilisi.

I don't see these protests of any different than ones frequently occurring in cities like Athens or Paris. Key is just to avoid the hot spot - which is the country's parliament where the protests are being held (and occasional violence used by the cops against the protesters). Use common sense like avoiding protests - especially so at night - and you will be absolutely fine. Georgia is an amazing country with great food, sights, scenery and hospitality. I'm sure you will have a great time.

FWIW, the Georgian police are nowadays fully reformed and trustworthy as former President Mikhail Saakashvili sacked the entire force a decade or so ago as corruption was endemic. He then basically hired an all-new force during his reign, mostly of people from a younger generation with a more modern mindset. Patrol cars and buildings were renewed too, so you will find smart American looking police cars and police stations made out of glass to symbolise transparency. If you talk with locals - even Saakashvili-critics of whom there are many - you will hear that they all unanomously agree that the police reform was a widely popular measure which is well-regarded and actually worked. As a tourist, you will therefore not have nothing to fear from any police violence unlike what these protesters are facing from anti-riot police.
Thanks. This is precisely the perspective I was looking for.

We have read and heard great things about Georgia and are really looking forward to our visit (including some wine tastings, naturally!).

Any 'must-do' recommendations?