FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:38 pm
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by pinniped
For those of you ashamed to even consider eating fast food abroad, does this only apply to American brands or also to the local streetfood? Is it the quick-service style that's repulsive or the Americanness or corporateness of McD's, KFC, etc. that is repulsive?

What about Starbucks? Does it fall in this category too?

What about a local but corporate fast food chain? Pret A Manger in London, for example?

Most FTers don't have a problem with American brands abroad like Marriott or Hilton (and might even eat the food there). I find it interesting that restaurants strike a very different emotional chord.

I'll admit that I'm in the camp that tends to avoid McDonald's but would happily eat some local dish from a guy grilling stuff on the street, even if it's something mundane like a taco or sandwich. But I don't have any visceral opposition to the American brands, nor think terribly of people who occasionally hit one up for convenience sake.
I think we can rephrase this... rather than avoiding American fast foods, how about we say we avoid stuff we can commonly get on our home turf. For example, I would avoid a big mac. But I would try the durian flurry or a nasi lemak burger at McD if I came across it. But given the choice, I would go with other hawker center food as I can't really get a lot of it here... or to change the focus.... I would get a bowl of boat noodles or a bag of snails off the streets of HCMC. Comfort food is that, but when you're overseas, why not try something different. (eg, I'll likely try some of the Jolliebee stuff in Manila that isn't available in Canada).