FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:47 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For those of you ashamed to even consider eating fast food abroad, does this only apply to American brands or also to the local streetfood? Is it the quick-service style that's repulsive or the Americanness or corporateness of McD's, KFC, etc. that is repulsive?

What about Starbucks? Does it fall in this category too?

What about a local but corporate fast food chain? Pret A Manger in London, for example?

Most FTers don't have a problem with American brands abroad like Marriott or Hilton (and might even eat the food there). I find it interesting that restaurants strike a very different emotional chord.

I'll admit that I'm in the camp that tends to avoid McDonald's but would happily eat some local dish from a guy grilling stuff on the street, even if it's something mundane like a taco or sandwich. But I don't have any visceral opposition to the American brands, nor think terribly of people who occasionally hit one up for convenience sake.