FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you think, will Aegean ever start flights to the USA?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:22 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Yreal
I don't see the problem with the a321xlr. Aegean already does some flights that go quite far, so if they see a market, why not?

I think Kuwait is the furthest now? If it works, it works. I could see a case for Addis Ababa for connections. South Africa? Bangkok? Doesn't sound farfetched to me, it's basicly the same reason that aer lingus works for eu-usa. I know a lot of people connect to South Africa in Dubai, Athens would be a lot faster.

makes more sense to me then Casablanca or Tunis. But then again, I don't run an airline, so what do I know.
A3 and ATH doesn’t have the Asian/South Asian connection and traffic and government backing that made DXB possible to be what it had become on the global aviation map. And that ship whereby ATH maybe could have played the role of DXB or even IST in global aviation has sailed already, with Greece having missed that boat on which it has no chance to get on now.

A3’s ATH-Morocco service would be a longer flight than ATH-Kuwait.

A3 and ATH really shouldn’t gamble and bite on more than they can chew. Expansion and more complicated fleet mix are costly risks for an airline, and I would hope this airline would rather choose the devil it knows than the devil it doesn’t.