FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airbnb service charge dispute ‐ noisy neighbours
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:57 am
Saint4805

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Airbnb service charge dispute ‐ noisy neighbours

Hey all,

Long story short. I had a cancel a long term stay (one month) at an Airbnb apartment due to demolition and construction work going on in the apartment underneath which I was not informed about in advance. The apartment I booked was even marketed as 'quiet apartment with a view'. Deafening heavy duty drilling and banging from 7am to 9pm every day. Pretty much a nightmare for what was meant to be a holiday rental. The host agreed to override the cancellation policy and refund the remaining nights of my stay on a pro rata basis even though a long term stay earned a 30% discount. She initially tried to argue that I would lose the discounted rate per night and have to pay 'short term stay' rates instead but I was able to make her see that this was unfair as the stay was cut short due to reasons outside my control and that it was unreasonable to expect me to vacate the apartment (marketed as 'quiet') every day before 7am when all hell broke loose downstairs.

I then called Airbnb explaining what happened and asked if I could get the same pro rata refund for the 10% service charges. After being connected to the 'resolution centre' they refused to do the same as the host claiming that the 'system will only allow' them to refund 30% of the service charges. The case officer said she spoke with her superiors and they are not willing to move on it. Does anyone know if a. I have a case and b. how I can go about escalating this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Saint4805; Jun 26, 2019 at 12:50 pm