FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for wireless over the ear or bone conduction earphones w/long battery life
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:13 pm
Dodge DeBoulet

Originally Posted by Analise
One more question about the Koss — How is the sound if you keep the iPhone in pants pocket, coat pocket or clipped to a belt? How close must the iPhone be to the earphones? Thanks.
That's the only thing about these headphones I find a bit fiddly, but it hasn't really been a problem.

Wearing the wire around the back of my neck, the sound drops out occasionally when the signal must pass through my (admittedly big-boned) body. In a right-side jacket (hip-level) pocket, no issues unless I turn my head far to the right. In a left-side pocket, occasional dropouts. In a rear pants pocket, a very occasional dropout when I turn my head and it doesn't matter which side. Wearing the wire in front of my neck, no issues at all in any front pocket. The Bluetooth antenna appears to be integrated into the control unit that hangs from the right speaker, so having that close to line-of-sight with your phone gives the best results.

I wear a pocket tee When I take my daily 3 mile hike and keep my phone in the left breast pocket (my spring/fall fleeces and winter coat have left-breast pockets as well, and that's where my phone normally goes). I've also kept it in the right front pocket of my pants or shorts, but (at least with shorts) end up having to "hitch 'em up" regularly due to the weight of the phone. I'm considering getting an arm band for the phone since my wife complains about my t-shirt sagging on the left when the phone is in its pocket

The other thing to be aware of is that battery life is shortened significantly when temperatures are below freezing. Consider wearing a hood; the headphones are low-profile enough to worn under one. A wide scarf should serve the same purpose ... keeping the battery at a reasonable temperature.

Finally, while the rest of the world is moving to USB-C for charging, the Koss headphones use micro-USB. It comes with a charging cable, of course, and no special wall-wart is needed. They'll charge off anything that has a powered USB type A (flat-rectangular) port.