FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Different Names on Dual Citizen Italian Passport and US Passport
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:15 pm
DaileyB

What could go wrong

I am an American whose paternal grandparents were Italian. I have a right to become a dual Italian citizen. Unfortunately, my grandparents didn't pay much attention to the spelling of their last name, so my last name does not match the real last name of my grandparents. (All that matters is grandfather's name) For example, let's say I am named Decker. Real Italian name was De Caker.

To get dual citizenship, I would need to correct the Decker name on my father's baptismal certificate and from there construct a birth certificate for my father. (He doesn't have one) Then I have to change my name to De Caker, and I can get dual citizenship. After I would get dual citizenship, I would change my name back to Decker (easy in Ohio). I would try to get my passports aligned to have De Caker name at the same time and then switch back to Decker. Not worried about American transactions because I could simply sign (for instance, real estate papers) as De Caker aka Decker. Also, hoping that the timing of my travels would be such that maybe, I wouldn't need to change from passport from Decker to De Caker to Decker if I didn't travel for about 8 months and was able to get Italian citizenship and then quickly change my name back to Decker.

Am wondering how deep Chinese passport searches are and whether something causing a problem would pop up even if both passports had the same name on them when I was traveling. Or, whether other unforeseen (to me) issues might pop up.