FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:36 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Huh? Denying Elite Benefits is beneficial to Elites? Wow! Only MVPG+ receive GGUs for achieving status. As part of that, they can gift them to others. You are seriously looking at that backwards or perhaps more from a "that doesn't benefit me" perspective. "I don't purchase K and I don't find value in Companion Certificates so AS please don't open U to let other Elites the opportunity to upgrade because I like mine for free!"
I get GGUs too. I don't think it benefits me any more or less than any other MVPG.

I have no idea what this has to do with companion certificates. But MVPGs can upgrade companions too so I don't think it matters if you paid cash for both tickets and used a companion certificate for one.

The point is, paying extra for K on a flight where you would get upgraded anyway is a waste of money.

As a 75k, I find it hard to believe that you would not be getting comp upgrades on all those flights where you are paying extra for K. The last time I used a GGU (likely, ever) my MVP friend got upgraded at the gate. That was a waste of $100...

AS sells upgrades out from under you to non-elites at the gate.
They aren't supposed to, according to currently stated policy.