FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Duplicate boarding position
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:46 pm
NoStressHere
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by tusphotog
The one true way to see if they are duplicates is to look at the passenger number in the upper right corner. A1 should be 1, A2 should be 2 etc. If this person upgraded to BS at the gate, it certainly could cause a duplicate A1. If that was the case, the pax number should be something other than 1. To my knowledge this isn't visible on the mobile BPs.

If the BS numbers are unused, the boarding pass issued could have a pax number <15. The pax numbers can't be more than 143 on a 737-700 or 175 on the 800s.
I tried to find a boarding pass with "passenger numbers" on them, and could not.

Since most people print boarding passes up to 24 hours in advance, those numbers are therefore on their passes. But, sometimes between printing a pass and boarding time, people cancel or change flights. Therefore those numbers are no longer in use. So, if passenger #53 for example cancels, do they give that number to someone else if they buy a last minute ticket and all the other seats are taken?

And, if passenger #64 does a gate upgrade, is he still #64 , or does he get a different number?

I am clueless to this passenger number thing on a boarding pass.