FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - As of today...How far are you from requalifying?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:14 am
rkoechel

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jayer
Being in a similar lifestage I have some free if unsolicited advice to the broader board. Worry about lifetime status first, somewhere, if you do not already have it. Don't jump ship either way unless that is in the bag or there is an obvious clear path to attaining it.

Much as I prefer the Hyatt room product, very much prefer the Hyatt resort product, and generally speaking prefer the Hyatt (Place) second-tier product; the Hyatt lifetime spend requirement is a hurdle unless you are on expenses or have a budget such it does not matter to you. I don't see myself crossing it on my own dime.

My heavy business travel ran about eight years on my own expense. I kept top tier at Hyatt, Starwood, and Marriott. When that slowed down I cut back to Hyatt as the most desirable and most attainable status, but as we all know with program changes attainability ended abruptly and is not a clear choice anymore. The Marriott-Starwood merger saved me from life as a hotel peasant when they lumped everything together and lifetime status arrived out of the blue.

That has been a wonderful and unexpected blessing, but had I concentrated spending at Hyatt I might be there instead. Not that I'm in a bad spot, and not to mention Marriott is more likely to have a club, but I still like Hyatt rooms better.
This is great advice if you're looking to travel after retirement - exactly how I've been thinking about my loyalty - although I'm decades away from retirement.