FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IAD connection to another airline -- is 4 hours enough
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:11 am
Nirvana91

Originally Posted by Machta
Hello friends. In late July we are flying from Denver to IAD on WN. Four hours after we are scheduled to land we have a transatlantic flight on another airline (needless to say). We will need to check luggage. For those who are familiar with IAD, is 4 hours long enough to get our luggage from the WN flight, re-check it, go through security, and get to our flight? We do have Premier Access for the 2nd flight, which usually comes with a shorter check-in line and access to the faster security lanes . . . I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I don't mean to purposefully stress you out about this, but what you are proposing is risky and it's not something that I would be willing to attempt. Yes, what you are doing will work out perfectly fine the majority of the time (maybe 95% of the time?). However, when you are talking about something as important as a transatlantic flight, it's not something I'd put into jeopardy. As others have mentioned, if your WN flight is delayed or canceled (which is a definite possibility with WN's current track record) you are completely out of luck. WN is only responsible for getting you to IAD, and the other carrier wouldn't be sympathetic if you missed their flight due to WN.

As I said, it will likely work out fine the majority of the time. If you absolutely have to do this, maybe you have the ability to obtain some sort of flight insurance that would cover this specific situation? I have no idea how that stuff works though.