FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sarajevo Tips [was Sarajevo Safety]
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:57 am
AlicorporateUK

Resurrecting this thread for a swift update from town (I've just noticed that Celtic will be playing FK Sarajevo in the Champions League's qualifying round so this may also be useful for the FT's bhoys planning the trip to Bosnia ).

That said, the updated/summer bus (airport-city centre and indeed vice-versa) timetable can be found through this link (it used to be tricky to 'locate' it up to a few months ago but it has now been uploaded to the official airport's website, which incidentally also had a bit of remake recently). The bus doesn't really have designated stops once it leaves the airport hence feel free to use the stop button. Cash payment only and, as another user has suggested above, 'standard' public transport is also available from nearby areas (just cross the road leading to the airport and head over to Dobrinja towards Alipašino, where you will find plenty of bus stops). For the fans of the 'keep-fit option', I walked from the airport to Grbavica (not far from the town centre) the other day and it took me roughly an hour and a half so not too bad at all FYI - the ibis Styles hotel (which is a really nice property, by the way) is 'only' 40 minutes' walk and has great tram/bus connections with virtually the rest of the city.

Lufthansa/Austrian/Swiss do not allow web check-in departing from Sarajevo (speaking to the Austrian's airport supervisor the other day, she told me that this is unlikely to be reinstated any time soon and due to "major security breaches"...) so make sure to head to the airport some time beforehand (long queues likely in the small terminal, especially when other services e.g. Turkish/Pegasus to Istanbul are departing at the same time).

Lastly and for Amex cardholders like myself, I've noticed a much better acceptance recently (most Konzum grocery shops will take it), which is a massive plus!

For anything else and indeed general or more specific advice/info, please feel free to ask, I'm based over here so always happy to help.

G