FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:15 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bchandler02
One thing I wonder - AA purchased all the options - UA and others didn't. As part of the re-certification process, will all airlines be required to update to the full safety package - and if so, does this help with simulator availability as AA pilots with planes ready to fly would take priority over UA pilots that are still waiting on modifications. Perhaps the simulator concern isn't as big of a deal as some are making it out to be.
ALL existing 737 MAX aircraft would be retrofitted gratis by Boeing, as I understand it, and all new builds will have these items included.

The simulator issue will depend on whether it’s required in the Airworthiness Directive note issued by the certifying agencies and the airlines. Possibly this could be a bone of contention between pilots or their unions and airlines. See Boeing 737 Max Simulators Are in High Demand. They Are Flawed, By Natalie Kitroeff, NY Times, May 17, 2019. Link.

In the end, I suspect “who will fly first” will at least partly depend on

1) installation and testing of the MCAS software update, AoA indicators and disagree warnings,

2) the necessary “de-mothballing” ground preparation to make them airworthy

3) pilots prepared for flying these.

There will be more that needs doing, vetting and final approval, including the new operating manual updates and training - in whatever form that will be, iPad, sim, etc.

The recertifications / AD notes from a bunch of national and regional agencies could be challenging, because it’s feasible say CAAC is directed to refrain or stall because of tariff and trade issues.