FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chicken Leg? A new low for 77W F LHR-MIA
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:27 am
teemuflyer

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe chicken legs are the absolute cheapest kind of meat you could buy at ~$.75/lb... sound very cheAAp to me.
More expensive than the ingredients in the Gnocchi- potatoes and flour ;-) . Being a Texan, we love our bbq'd brisket, which happens to be a relatively cheap cut of meat (used to be very cheap).

Originally Posted by CitySlacker
Might be cheap, but due to the high fat content, it reheats better in the aircraft ovens. Breast meat can sometimes be tough and dry (for some).
Yes. Reheating a chicken leg will normally come out much better than a chicken breast. I'm sure this a consideration for the chefs designing the F menu.

Originally Posted by NickB
What an odd comment to make.
There is chicken leg and there is chicken leg. If you are talking chlorine-washed, US supermarket bottom range chicken, then yes. If you are talking Poulet de Bresse chicken leg, then it is a different kettle of fish altogether and a completely different order of magnitude in terms of cost (and of course taste).
You will have multiple price points and multiple quality levels when it comes to chicken, probably more than many other meats. Guy Savoy has no issue including chicken legs on the menu of his 3-star Michelin restaurant in Paris.
I would not expect chicken on AA, even in F, being among the most expensive chickens that you might buy but I would not expect it to be among the lowest either. Chicken legs strike me as eminently suitable on an airline F menu as long as the quality of ingredients and that of preparation are there.
Air chilled, organic chicken is way more expensive than the mass produced chicken, and even many steaks. As you suggest, quality ingredients, made with care and a solid recipe, should produce an excellent dish. Even the lowly chicken has a place at a 3 star Michelin restaurant.