Old Jun 19, 19, 4:37 pm
Ocn Vw 1K
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I'm less than 15 mins. from SFO, so am partial to that airport. BUT after decades of delays with most of my flying -- short-haul by numbers of flights -- and after hitting 2MM on UA, I finally reached the unassailable point made upthread by several, that SFO is far too delay-prone to support a heavy SoCal to NorCal schedule as the OP is looking at.

I vote for the choice suggested by several: BUR to SJC on WN. It has about 12 N/s a day each way, between the two points, whereas AS has only 3 N/S RTs.

I've moved almost all of my intra-Calif. flying from UA to WN and am much happier doing it. Their greater reliability and faster flight times (say OAK to LAX) makes up for the lack of the United Club and First seats. With WN flight times sub one-hour, I can easily tolerate the less seat pitch than UA E+ and I notice that before I finish most of the work or more fun reading to do on board, I'm about to land. WN often has a status match program pending for legacy airline status holders to match to A-list. As a WN "low level" elite (basic A-list), I find I'm on the plane faster than with UA's 6 or 7 pre-boarding groups before my group 1. And there's none of the drama I regularly experience in flying UA (gate's blocked, paperwork isn't ready, mechanic has to look at this or that before we push, etc., etc.), especially when you're counting on getting to your destination airport in an hour or less.