FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:50 am
1Aturnleft

I think you also need to take a look around at similar employers. For example at KLM where all staff have benefited from a very generous profit share bonus this year. Now KLM have been nowhere near as profitable as IAG and yet they've managed to pull something out of the bag that's gone down very well with their people. Their CEO is also extremely popular with employees which seems almost an unheard of, especially in the airline industry. What are they doing at KLM that BA/IAG aren't? And to me they seem to at least on the face of it is that KLM value and want to recognise their employees.
The record breaking profits achieved by BA/IAG have primarily come from staff cuts in one form or another - be that the Mixed Fleet contract, reduction in operational allowances, maximisation of duty time, reduction of rest days between sectors - and everything's taking its toll. So in reality 11% payrise over 3yrs (which I believe just covers base pay not operational allowances and is another reason why you can't make fleeting sweeping statements and calculations to dumb it down because it's way too complicated a structure to compare to any other industry a FT'er may have experience in - me included) is still a pay reduction when you factor in what BA's offering. Ground staff, engineering and pilots have also been affected and it's important to remember it's not just Cabin Crew, although the BASSA Unite union represents the largest proportion of employees balloting for strike action. I think that the combined nature and united front of the upcoming ballot accross all fleets and operation staff this time does and will pose significant disruption to operation this summer.

​​You can argue that they're thoughtless and money hungry people and should find employment elsewhere if they're not happy. Fact is BA is in a very healthy state financially and is choosing to reward shareholders over employees. And while share holders are important, I think BA lose sight very easily that their people are also important and play a pivotal role in the company success. Why rob them just so the company can post another bumper profit and dividend? This to me is beyond limit and then some. Similarly BA/IAG know they operate in a unionised environment and could definitely be more foresightful when implementing radical or unpopular cost-cutting mechanisms within their business and what the end result of this process might look like. I think BA as usual are pushing this to the limit - a bit like a EU261 claim where it's a stand off in the hope it'll fold and go away. As a BA passenger I'm aware of what is happening and the likely disruption that will occur. As an employee in a non unionised private sector company, I wish them all the luck in the world in securing what are basic and non-rediculous contractual demands.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jun 19, 2019 at 2:28 pm