FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A deceitful? resolution
View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:58 pm
jtc246

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by justpassinthru
In late May I made honors points reservations for 2 rooms, 3 nights at an Embassy Suites in Nashville TN (300k points total). The stay was in the later half of June and the points came out and reservations made with no issues. A week later I was making travel plans to San Francisco for July and realized these points would go further on hotels there, so I cancelled the first stay (about 3 weeks before the date) and remade the reservations with cash. I did notice that while I had only cancelled one room both rooms cancelled - normal I assume since they were on the same confirmation number (and I wanted to cancel both rooms anyway). A day or two later I noticed only 150k points had been refunded to my account. I assumed the system would catch up so I waited a few days.

About a week after the original cancellation I called customer service. I was told the entire transaction had cleared for the 150k (they only showed 150k total to be refunded). While the agent and I discussed the situation she and I investigated - On my side i saw that my points history clearly showed two separate transactions for 150k points removed on the day of this booking (the only such booking I had made that day). She clearly also found something in her system indicating the original purchase because she became very confident the points would be refunded, though she was not clear what she saw. She wrote up a case ticket and told me to watch for the refund.

After a week of seeing nothing I called again yesterday. This agent found the original ticket but was very vague about its status - once referring to it as not completed and once as rejected. At one point she suggests only 150k was pulled out by accident, but I insisted I saw all 300k removed (and there was no way this hotel was 25k/night/room - maybe many years ago but not now). As she again investigated the situation I went to my points history - only this time one of the lines showing removal of 150k points was gone - the solution to my original issue appears to be deleting the history of removing the second 150k!. I went to my original email notifications of the point purchase transaction and luckily I found two emails - each showing the same confirmation number but a different reward certificate number - both showing 150k points removed under that certificate. I gave these numbers to the agent and sure enough - one tied exactly and the other doesn't show as existing in their system anymore - the one someone appears to have deleted - and in the process changed history.

I didn't screen shot the record of the two removals in my points history - since it sounded like the agent and I were on in agreement on the first call...to steal a line from Animal House " you F******d up, you trusted us". I am lucky to have saved the original emails or there would be no record of the transaction what so ever. And given that the agent suggested again that only 150k points were removed because the second certificate number isn't in their system anymore, and the first resolution appears rather dishonest - I don't hold a lot of hope out to resolve this honestly... but I will keep fighting and hopefully someone else will be slightly more vigilant because of what happened to me...

Any one see a similar situation before - or have any ideas where further proof of the actual transaction resides?
You should call and aggressively fight for your points. You should win. One side note, every place you used the word "assume", would have been a place this problem could have been snuffed out in advance, in short "assume" nothing.