FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:52 pm
SS255

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by threeoh
Ok, so an 18% increase after 4 years. Inflation on $550 over those same 4 years would make it $594. So this is a 9% inflation-adjusted price hike for renewing members and 0% price hike for new members. If you are trying to winnow your ranks a little, this seems like a reasonable bump.

I agree but it was more a thought experiment to say ok there are 8 ways to access a United Club, and only 2 that UA has unilateral authority to change. So if the changes to paid memberships (like restricting to same-day flight on partner, raise in price, etc.) seem harsh, it's in part because the other 6 access methods are inflexible, esp. the *A ones which are not likely to change. And I'd expect the 2 Chase access methods to be changing in the next 12-24 month timespan as contracts come up.
Actually, there are 9 ways to access the UC, with the 9th (lifetime membership) being the method United has the least flexibility to change, and the one method which will only decrease in eligibility. (Then again, with what they’ve pulled on the 11/1/19 changes, I would not put it past them to try to cancel lifetime memberships altogether. That’s why I’m guarding my physical UC card that says “Lifetime Member” on it with my life.)