FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - rollout of the new STARS and Luminous program just announced...
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:22 am
DavidO

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Regardless, is your opinion that it still makes the most sense to book via STARS, vs other avenues, ceteris paribus?
I think that only time and experience can answer that question.

For non-Virtuoso Ritz, St. Regis, and Luxury Collection hotels, STARS will definitely be the way to go.

For those W Hotels and Westin (Madrid) hotels that are Virtuoso members, I think Virtuoso would still be the way to go.

RC Dorado Beach ... book through Virtuoso, as the Virtuoso resort credit is $150 vs. $100 with STARS.

But here's the rub... "Upgrade if available at time of check-in" and "early check-in/late check-out if available" are not explicitly listed in the STARS amenities... but are still listed in Virtuoso amenities with the "subject to availability" language.

I discussed this matter with the VP of Luxury Sales, specifically asking what this really means and how we should book. Her perspective:
Upgrades and early check-in/late check-out ... are very challenging to continually deliver upon.... I just want to be realistic. Everybody offers these amenities but they don’t actually happen as often as anybody would want. I aim to be more realistic and fulfil the requests when it is important and when a hotel is really able to do it and make it meaningful instead of expected.... This comes from years of hearing that people were disappointed, and I hate hearing that. We just want to do as much as we can in a transparent way.
Two bottom lines for her:

1. Regarding upgrades, early check-ins, and late check-outs: Request through the Guardian Angel channel; you'll get a better response since the hotel will be actively monitoring it.

2. Marriott Luxury Brands prefers that bookings come through a partner (STARS advisor) "rather than a credit card channel" (i.e., Amex FHR). "The whole point of our new program is to support our best partners. If guaranteeing a 4P checkout will help you get the business, we can get it done for you."

Bottom lines for me:

1, I was led to believe that the new STARS was intended to be the best of class preferred partner program. It's clearly not. That distinction belongs to Dorchester Diamond Club (guaranteed upgrade up to Jr. Suite and hotel credit can be applied toward the room rate). Close behind are Oetker Pearl Collection (guaranteed upgrade + $200 credit for 2+ night stay) and Shangri-La Luxury Circle (guaranteed upgrade for some categories and hotel credit = 10% of nightly average room rate). Even Hyatt Privé has often comes through for me with upgrades at booking ... and I've had very good luck with upgrades through Four Seasons Preferred Partner.

Realistically, I imagine this is the inevitable result of a luxury hotel management company negotiating a preferred partner program that includes over 250 participating hotels. I imagine there was pushback from some of the hotels (many of which are privately owned and just managed by Marriott).

2. At the end of the day, personal relationships will always trump amenity programs. When your travel advisor personally knows a hotelier (being face-to-face many times at Virtuoso Week, trade shows, dinners, or cocktail gatherings) and has worked with that hotelier many times over the years on behalf of many clients ... reaching out personally gets the best results in terms of upgrades and other special requests. Phone calls are always the best ... but extending the Guardian Angel program across all 250+ participating Marriott Luxury Brands properties is the best part of the new program.