FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have experience with the new seldom wash clothes?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:38 am
Allentown

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Originally Posted by deniah
There's probably a small grain of truth buried under a mountain of exaggeration. In the sports world there's still a bit of lore about wool being this magic fabric that wicks sweat and is odor-resistant and magically keeps a person warm but simultaneously keeps them cool. They are supplanted in effectiveness by well-engineered synthetics. It's evident by the obvious difference in market penetration.

I've got a bunch of wool garments as activewear for skiing, hiking, bicycling, and as well as normal clothing. I don't find them particularly standout, particularly in extreme conditions - high wind, high heat, high sweat, etc. The fit and color and weave and weight has a far bigger impact on the functionality of a garment than its material.

Like freecia said, if you dont sweat much, dont move around much, arent exposed to heat much, etc etc, you could get away without a wash. But likewise the same thing can be said of cotton or etc.

Practically speaking, based on experience, I dont actively seek out wool whether for socks or undergarments or sweaters. In fact I'll try to avoid it, except when used in blends. Pure wool are generally more fragile; prone to moth holes; have tendency to pill; easily distort or shrink; and more...
Okay, i understand you aren't as much as a believer as i am. To wit, i just did an experiment. It is 88 degrees F and super humid as always in Georgia. I went out and mowed 1/2 the yard in a cotton t shirt. After which there was zero place that was dry. It was so wet it looked like a wet t shirt contest and when i removed it it literally "peeled" away as it was completely stuck to my skin like some kind of slimy saran wrap coating. I then put on one of my merino shirts and mowed the other half (was hotter and i was already hot and sweaty to start), yet i stayed much cooler, the shirt did not get as sweaty (I am still wearing it now) and once i came back inside i did not necessarily feel the need to immediately remove it as i could feel it was drying inside my air conditioned house rapidly. That was about 10 minutes ago when i came in and i only see one dimed size patch of sweat on my upper chest (which was probably pre existing as i didn't towel dry off between shirts)

Hey don't take my word for it... i willing to give you my address, you can drive here and we can do this side by side test any day any time, i have the merino, the lawn the georgia heat and am willing to demonstrate side by side.

My advice? When it comes to heat, don't wear cotton. Just don't. Cotton might be good for 3 seasons but not for summer, not if you are out in the heat. As i have said, i also have some poly blend atheletic gear and all that stuff do is start to sour and smell like a combination of a jar of pickles/vinegar and someones feet after a day in the heat. Just my 0.2 cents.

Of course, YMMV