FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does BA take £15 to cancel a booking?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:45 am
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I don't really understand this thread. A £15 fee to cancel a flight and receive a refund is a bargain. Most flights are completely non refundable.

Anyway just because he can do it all online, does not mean the service does not require administration. Someone had to build that online system, there is likely considerable administration involved in maintaining and supporting this online functionality. Also, aside from all this, companies will charge whatever fees they feel they can get away with legally and from a PR point of view. Fees are just a way of generating revenue.

I really don't understand what the OP is upset at here.
No it isn't a bargain; the GBP15 is in addition to any cancellation penalty

On most airlines, cancel a booking and the airline will charge any cancellation penalty that applies - on a fully refundable ticket, a full refund is received

Book with BA and not only will it take any cancellation penalty, but it will charge GBP15 for the privilege of giving you the money back. Even a fully refundable ticket incurs the additional fee

With a non refundable ticket, it is moot, since there is no refund - but I cannot see any reason for it to charge a fee on top of the penalties that apply.