FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have experience with the new seldom wash clothes?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:27 pm
Allentown

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Originally Posted by STVA
I don't really understand how this stuff works. Your body is constantly producing sweat/oil/dead skin/smells, etc. No matter what material the clothing is made of, this stuff is touching the clothing. Unless your sweat is supposed to remain on your body (like imagine if you were wearing a garbage bag or some sort of rubbery material), it is going to get on the clothes. The clothes are going to be dirty.

If you can wash it, how is it any better than other material that can be washed? There are quick drying synthetic materials that are easy to wash and dry each wearing.

This sounds like marketing BS being used to sell expensive products.

Easiest way to explain is cotton is more hydromorphic......likes to hold moisture.

Merino wool is more hydro phobic....doesn’t like water and drys faster.

Moisture is the breeding ground for bacteria and bacteria is what leads to odor.

Compared to cotton you’ll stay dryer = both feel cooler and smell less. Merino drys faster when you through over a chair effectively stopping and even killing /reversing bacteria growth as it drys out so well....this doesn’t make it grime proof but it GREATLY extends the usable wear before odor sets in. If you combine that advantage with a proper rotation schedule and good hygiene....you can pack an amazingly less amount with you on a trip. A shirt that normally lasts 24 hours can last 72 or even longer.

Polyester drys fast also but the fabric turns sour and smells like vinegar very quick if you try this with poly. Merino wool however just works,

As mentioned, there are also other fabrics w interesting properties but I find merino among the best.

Agreed w what was said above. Don’t go thinking you can just buy one shirt and be done. 3 is what you need to start and it’s prob a good idea to pick up at least one long sleeved to, You’ll want even more if your a road warrior.

I live in the south where it’s very humid and it is hard to stay cool because high humidity shuts down your natural cooling mechanism.....evaporation.

Merino being hydriphobic is a God send as I actually CAN cool back off wearing this stuff. A couple hours in cotton I feel like steam is almost coming off me as I peel off a sticky wet cotton shirt. Not so with merino....I’ll get in some shade or back in air conditioning and dry right out....this is ALSO a part of the less odor equation.

One other point....Unbound says repeatedly not to tumble dry. While you should follow that I’ve got two in my collection that I tumble dry (one semi regularly) and I can’t detect any negative effects so far. Not sure what’s goin on w that. It does shrink the shirt but if you WANT to shrink one that’s always a little stretched because you’ve slept in it.....you’re golden.

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 16, 2019 at 8:43 pm