FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - horrible experience with GA in TPA airport
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:02 pm
Stripe

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by omaralt
Having replayed the entire scenario multiple times in my head I really don’t think I could have done anything better. In the future the only thing I may do is carry an extra backpack in case this scenario occurs again. But again I hate carrying anything I don’t need; so the thought of lugging another piece of luggage in the remote possibility of this happening is not something I look forward to.

Either way every one has an opinion and they are entitled to it. I am not a person who complains or is hard to please. I have never in my life written a complaint about somebody or even asked to speak to a manager; this was honestly my first time ever doing this. I pride myself on being easy going and going with the flow. So this took me completely by surprise. Either way I think this thread has served its purpose. Thank you all for your response (all, even those who think I’m in the wrong).

I basically agree. Your packing strategy makes perfect sense, even if it bit you this time. You had a completely legitimate reason for arriving at the gate so close to departure, but I'm sure gate agents see a parade of people every day arriving late, often because they spent too much time in the bar, and then giving them lip about checking bags. The irony is that the agent probably spent more time and effort arguing with you that it would have take to check it to CLT in the first place.

I think your only real "mistake" was booking through Travelocity. I get that you got a package but I always try to ticket through AA directly especially if there is anything not plain vanilla about the trip.