FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - horrible experience with GA in TPA airport
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:35 pm
ryan182

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I doubt the employee in question was worrying about Doug Parker. I don't worry about my CEO-I'm sure he doesn't even know I exist. Sorry but not making D0 has downstream impact, particularly for paxs. I would never expect AA to hold up a flight for me. At some point the GA needs to make a decision about checking bags or the flight might be delayed.
Originally Posted by pedrofs
Most pax don't have a clue on the pressure all GA's are faced with. They face a juggling act daily with attempting job 1 (D0) while dealing with boarding, upgrades, standbys, incessant questions, entitled acting passengers, excess baggage, passengers wanting to do things not allowed on their PNR or ticket, etc.
Unfortunately, airlines have instituted policies only thinking of the revenue value before weighing the unintended consequences. The big 3 make around 1M each annually on excess bag charges and about an
equal amount on change fees. The impact on the bag fees is huge for FA's and GA's, and causes ill will, gate congestion, onboard congestion and sometimes fights, and at time, flight delays. (longer boarding times and deplaning times.) . In the event of an evacuation, all these bags have the potential of impeding a rapid exit. There are longer TSA lines as well.
Look at the millions of free publicity WN has gained from their free checked bag and no change fees policy, and they are profitable.
Regarding this blog, there is equal blame for the GA, Supervisor and the OP. Ditch the outside booking sites.
If you double click on the D0 issue, did the GA being a <redacted> help with achieving D0? Clearly it did not, seems it took several minutes for the manager to arrive and set things right. If D0 was the urgency then would it not have been much faster and more likely to achieve that goal if the GA avoided the argument and rudeness to the OP and did what eventually the manager did? If the pressure of the job as a GA is too much for someone to handle without losing composure and being both rude and unreasonable to customers, then that's not a job that person is suited for and they should do themselves and customers a service and find another line of work. I appreciate that GAs, on all airlines not just AA, end up occasionally having to deal with some unreasonable and angry passengers - anyone who flies a lot I'm sure has seen pax whose behavior is unacceptable so I don't discount that they sometimes get the brunt of angry people but that's no excuse for unprofessional behavior IMO and neither is D0.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 18, 2019 at 1:14 pm Reason: Redacted offensiveness